Friday, April 18, 2008

"Letta Mama feed you"

Aimee Racine, Account Manager
SWING

Commercials. Most of them are boring and don’t really catch my attention. However, this week I saw an exception. Michelina’s. Their current campaign has two commercials airing, with the character of Mama Michelina as the star. She appears in two out of place locations --a climbing wall and an indoor football field. Mama Michelina comes to the rescue with a microwave Michelina’s dinner and saves the day. Here is the one with the girl wall climbing. I know it is a simple concept that has been used to sell products for decades but the “Mama knows best” angle made me laugh out loud and appealed to me as a woman.

I often feel pressure to look a certain way, but when I watched this commercial that seemed to melt away. For a brief moment, Mama Michelina was my grandmother, taking care of me and all of my problems including making sure I eat enough. I was able to take a nostalgic look back to my childhood eating habits, a time when I never once thought of my waistline and the fact that I have to exercise like a maniac in order to stay healthy. For that 30 seconds, I watched someone reaching out and caring about another’s well-being. In the end, I guess sometimes we want our grandmother to swoop in on a carabineer line and spoon feed us, even though it is a microwave pasta dinner, and take us away from our diets and exercise and love us, no matter what we look like.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

No comments: